Most CGA Canada exams follow a combination of question styles: i.e. multiple choice; short answer questions; true and false questions; application questions; and essay style questions. However, LW1, EM1 and QU1 exams are entirely multiple choice questions.
Alternatively, PA1 and PA2 are competency based exams designed to test your understanding of, and ability to apply, competencies gained in the program. Please refer to the student handbook for further details about PA1 and PA2.
You are permitted to take your exam question paper with you , except those classified as non-disclosed.
Examinations that have a non-disclosed agreement attached to the exam paper are LW1, EM1, QU1, PA1, and PA2.
Students must sign the non-disclosure agreement. Failure to sign the non-disclosure agreement may result in a delay in marking your exam. For a non-disclosed exam your paper must be submitted to the exam invigilator along with your answer booklet(s).
Exam blueprints will be available for all courses including PA1 and PA2. It is strongly suggested that students utilize the blueprints as part of their exam preparation procedures.
Before starting an exam students must:
The exam invigilator cannot discuss the paper with students before or during an exam. If students believe there is an error on the exam, they must state the
- Check that they are writing the correct exam.
- Write their student ID number, the date, exam subject and exam centre on all exam booklets. Students should not write their name anywhere on the exam booklet or scan form.
- Place a piece of signed government issued identification (e.g. driver’s licence, photo health card, passport) face up on their desk.
- Ensure they have only allowable exam room materials at their desk. Any exam candidate having in their possession materials, notes, publications or any other means of assistance during an exam which has not been specifically authorized for that exam, including:
- Referring to or possessing study notes
- Speaking to other students.
- Accessing a phone or electronic device other than an allowable calculator.
- Exposing their exam.
- Attempting to view the exams of others.
- Writing after the allotted time.
will be considered in violation of the National Academic Integrity Policy. A candidate who violates the policy may receive zero marks on their exam and may be withdrawn from the CGA program.
- All coats, bags, purses, etc. must be left at the front or sides of the room. The exam invigilator is not responsible for personal items left at the front or sides of the room. Students must ensure their electronic devices are turned off and stored in their bag or purse. Pencil cases, wallets or any other materials which have not been specifically
authorized to be used for that exam are not permitted to be on or under a student’s desk.
Students are strongly urged to leave most personal items at home.
- Students should begin each new answer on a fresh right hand page in their exam booklet. Students can answer questions in any order but must ensure each question is clearly numbered and a listing explaining the order of their answers is neatly printed at the beginning of the exam booklet.
- Multiple choice answers are to be written in an exam booklet not on the exam paper. Except for EM1, LW1, QU1, PA1 and PA2 exams where scan forms are supplied.
- Students must not tear any pages out of the exam booklet, with the exception of the scan forms for the exams listed above.
- While writing an exam, if a student needs another exam booklet, they should raise their hand to request one. If a student uses more than one exam booklet, they must indicate the order of their exam books (for example, write “1 of 2” and “2 of 2”) on the cover of their exam booklets. All exam booklets must be handed in at the end of
the exam. When the exam is over, students must insert their booklets inside the back cover of the first booklet.
- If a student’s handwriting is difficult to read, CGA Ontario suggests they write using block letters.
- Students should raise their hand if they need to leave the exam room and go to the washroom during an exam.
- There will be two time notifications during the exam. Students will be advised when there are 60 minutes (one hour) and 30 minutes (half an hour)
remaining in the exam.
- Students must stop writing immediately when the exam is over. Failure to do so is an exam violation.
- When writing an exam, students must ensure:
- All final work for grading is completed on the right-hand side and any rough work on the left-hand side their exam booklets.
- The narrative portion of the exam must be written in ink and should be double spaced to allow for corrections. Calculations may be completed in pencil.
- Students must complete scan forms in pencil.
- If a student leaves the exam room within the first 90 minutes (hour and a half) they cannot take the exam question paper with them. The invigilator will collect both the exam question paper and the exam booklet. If a student finishes their exam in the last 15 minutes of the exam, they must remain seated until the end of the exam. Students who leave the exam room prior to the last 15 minutes of the exam are asked to leave quietly.
- An exam invigilator has the right to ask students to change seats if they feel an exam can be viewed by another student.
assumption in their booklet when answering the question.